Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Support Your Friends - Lessons of the Day - 1

This might sound like a letter to Ask E. Jean asking for advice, however it’s more of a "Lessons of the Day" entry (the first of several).

Background: I am an aspiring fashion designer
Setting: Wedding
Situation: I am standing with my “friend”

Woman: "Where did you ladies get your lovely dresses?!"
My friend: "Oh, I got mine at BCBG, they had such a huge sale, I got this dress for $99. They just always have such great sales, you wait, and you can get practically anything you want for a great price." Blah blah blah as she continues.
Me: Can’t get a word in edgewise, so I just stand there waiting for it to be over.
Woman: "What about you?" And looks at me.
Me: "I designed and constructed it myself."
Woman: "Can you design one for me that looks like hers?"
Me: "No, I don’t copy other people’s dresses, but you can buy it at BCBG."
My friend: "Oh, but BCBG has great sales, you have to go and see."
Me: Walk away.

Lessons: I am pretty sure BCBG doesn’t need any free (or otherwise) advertising, but your designer friend does! So maybe next time, you can be a friend and advertise my dress instead of theirs (even if it’s not your style)? I sure would if the roles were reversed. Support your friends!!!!

Am I being unreasonable?

3 comments:

  1. lol! I have often felt this way while being a manufacturer of natural plant-based products. People have asked me questions about hair, but then turn around and purchase items from a company that can't answer your questions and most likely the products don't work.

    Are you going to post often?! I LOVE your blog!! I just read your body form post in it's entirety. Please keep us posted on what you're doing! Do you have a fanpage on FB?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the compliments :) I try to post as often as I can, but in the least once a week. I am trying to make a commitment to do it much more often....i should, i do have a lot to say at times heheheh

    ReplyDelete
  3. well that's great to hear. I, for one, will be looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...